- 250g high-quality chocolate
an assortment of dried fruits, nuts and small toppings
nuts: pistachios, almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, walnuts, pralines
fruits: dark and blond raisins, dried blueberries, dried cranberries, prunes, crystallised ginger, crystallised orange rind
others: big grains of chouquette sugar, small chunks of Petit Beurre (crispy butter cookies by LU), fleur de sel
- Melt the chocolate by putting a small saucepan of hot water over low heat.
- Set a bowl over it with the chocolate cut in pieces, wait till it melts and stir with a spoon (make sure not to get any water inside the chocolate).
- Using a cling film, wrap tightly a large plate.
- Drop small spoonful of chocolate on the sheet, using the back of the spoon to make little circles.
- Set two to three toppings (nuts, fruits, etc) on the circle. Work a few mendicants at a time, depositing six circles of chocolate, then decorating them before making new circles.
- If the chocolate gets too hard to work with, put it back over low heat to melt again.
- When a batch is complete, put the sheet in a cool place for chocolate to harden. Wait until the chocolate is completely set before lifting the mendicants cautiously from the sheet.